Independence Day

 "For you were called to freedom, only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another." -- 1 Peter 2:16


This year the 4th of July fell on a Sunday and our church took full advantage of that.  The pastor suggested we give this day to the Lord, and that we did.  Normally we spent the 4th having a barbecue with my parents, and we did that Saturday, but this Sunday was definitely going to be reserved for God.  We started the day with a wonderful patriotic church service that honored God, our country, and the military.  Our local congressman was a guest speaker and it was an amazing experience.  Then we were back that evening for another service followed by food trucks and fireworks.  This had been the best firework show I had ever seen.  The entire thing was like the grand finale.  

It feels like this country is so divided on so many issues, there's always debates and arguments among people but it could be so much worse.  Here in the good ol' USA we can speak our minds about anything and practice our religion without fear of being killed or thrown in jail.  It's a wonderful thing but I also know that this freedom we have can so quickly go away.  So, I'm not taking what I have for granted and I'm teaching my kids to know just how lucky they are and I pray that they grow up with the same privileges I had, or even better.  







No comments:

Post a Comment