Wednesday, October 7, 2026

To The Finish Line

 I have to share this picture as it is so special to me.  


My daughter made a decision to quit dancing and join band and sports during the start of high school.  She joined alongside her brother on the cross country team and I honestly wondered if this was the right decision for her.  She struggled to find endurance to get through and had been dealing with knee pain and this year developed some rib pain too.  We had her to the doctor with no success and she ended up having to DNF in one of the races because the pain was too much.  Yet, she was determined to keep going.  Last night was the final meet of the season and she ran to the finish line having cut 5 minutes from her last personal record.  Well, you can tell by the expression on her face how much that meant to her.  Her brother was waiting for her at the finish line with so much pride in his voice as he cheered for her.  It was a moment I'll cherish forever.  That's one for the core memories.  

She said throughout the entire 3.1 miles she prayed to God to help carry her through.  It is such a testament to how powerful God's strength truly is when we ask Him for it.  While imprisoned, the Apostle Paul encourages us to rejoice in the suffering and in Philippians 4:13 he says, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  I'm so glad my daughter got to live that experience last night.   We may not have to endure jail like Paul, or run in a cross country race like my daughter, but each and every one of us goes through trials that bring us suffering.  Ask God to give you strength to endure it to the end.  The reward at the finish line will be well worth it.  


I thought I was going to miss watching her dance, and in a small way I do, but I do not miss her coming into the car after class in tears because some of the girls were mean to her or an instructor made a comment that brought her down.  Cross country is an incredible sport.  The coaches and teammates are some of the absolute best.  They lift her up instead of tearing her down.  They encourage each other to keep going and celebrate the achievements in the end.  If the race doesn't turn out as they wanted, they lean in on each other for support.  It's so awesome to witness.  Even though my daughter may never come in first place she's exactly where she needs to be and I am so, so proud.  

No comments:

Post a Comment