Here We go Summer!

 Summer vacation has started and I'm all for it!  

After a long school year and nothing but chaos at work I'm ready to kick back and enjoy a relaxing summer.  

So far this vacation has consisted of listening to sibling fights, whining, and temper-tantrums.  But that's all part of raising kids, right?  I'm doing my best to handle it with compassion, patience, and understanding.  I'm doing my best to use kind words and help redirect my kids in their anger.  As a child I felt I wasn't allowed to express my feelings.  Feeling angry and frustrated wasn't tolerated.  I don't want that to be the case for my own kids.  I want them to know that it's okay to get upset and feel mad but I also want them to learn how to properly express those emotions.  I also want them to learn that using mean words to each other is not what's acceptable.  

Like every summer my kids are involved in the library's summer reading club.  Every 200 minutes read they get a prize.  My son has quickly made it to the first 200 mark.  My daughter requires a little more pushing.  I don't want them to make reading a chore.  I wish they could enjoy it and see the adventure of reading like I always had.  But with all the reading they've had to do during the school year I understand how they'd rather have a break from it.  There is also a hiking program we participate in also.  30 hikes in different parks across the county.  It's great exercise as we follow directions to get to the post with a rubbing on it.  My son seems to enjoy it.  My daughter, not so much.  My two kids, born of the same two parents, are completely different in so many ways.  

I had started a small garden with tomatoes, peppers, and green beans.  With the cost of everything now it would be nice to have some fresh veggies this summer.  

I also plan on spending these long days cleaning, organizing and getting this house into shape.  Since my kids are heading into middle and high school there are a lot of toys I'm desperate to get rid of to make more space.  

I'm also taking time to do my own reading.  I have also reserved some extra time to do my writing.  I should have been done by now.  The first draft, second draft, final revision, should all have been complete.  With everything going, sitting down to write takes last precedence.  

I'm also devoting some time to working out.  I really need to get back in shape.  Not for vanity reasons, even though my husband would love to see me skinnier, but for health.  I haven't been feeling the best lately, and some symptoms have me a little worried.  I'm sure some of you will say, then go see a doctor.  Another thing that doesn't take precedence.  

I'm planning on enjoying this vacation.   I won't be looking forward to getting back to work the end of August.   


1 comment:

  1. Yes, my friend. I always told my kids that it is ok to be upset or angry with someone. Usually after my husband and I had words! But it doesn't mean you don't love them. I hope you and the kids have a wonderful summer together. I miss those days. Thank God I have Flynn! Today she went to work with Steve and I was all alone!

    ReplyDelete