Friday, October 25, 2024

Sew What?

 

I was sitting in the waiting room at my daughter's dance studio when one of the other mothers asked if I'd like to help sew feathers on the demon costumes they'll need for the December show.  

At first I was thinking - Sew?  Me?  I can sew but it never looks well.  Now I have to sew for what needs to look professional for a professional dance performance.  

Then I asked out loud - Wait, did you say demon costumes?  I thought this was a Christian studio?  

But it did make sense.  The show they are doing is called Messiah and it is about the life of Jesus.  The show will have everyone from Mary mother of Jesus, Joseph, Mary Magdalene, the 12 Disciples, Jesus, angels and yes ... demons.  From what I've been told this is a beautiful show.  

I'm not quite sure I did the best job but it was nice to be able to talk with two others mothers and find out more about this studio.  It's a different feeling from the last studio she danced at and as the new people it can feel a little overwhelming.  But it was nice to talk to a mother who has been here for many years who assured me that we will become more understanding and comfortable to everything.  For Brianna, she's been slowly adjusting and the both of us have questioned if this was really the place she should be.  

In my experience, there are many times when I feel God is calling me to do something and then I'm suddenly questioning if it was really God at all leading me into that situation.  I'm also indecisive and have trouble figuring out which way I want to go and what I want to do.  Bri had been at the last studio since she was 4 and we really pictured her there until graduation.  She had her friends and was well adjusted to the point it felt like home but she also had to deal with several bullies and the expense was becoming too much.  When we were told about this other studio, which centered around Christ and was a bit more affordable it seemed like it would be a good choice.  We prayed about it and I let her decide.  She said she wanted to go but since then it's been question after question if it was the right decision.  How could we feel it's wrong when it's a company that has a love for Jesus and shares the faith with others?  I feel guilty about it but I'm slowly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  

I'm told the week of showtime and the actual showtime will make her and I both feel a lot better about being there.  So, we'll see.  For now, I guess I'm a seamstress!  I kept telling them after they see my work they'll probably end up firing me.  They laughed and said, "Oh no, we won't.  It's okay!"

Yeah, we'll see if those feathers come apart and fall off while the girls dance on stage.  

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone and doing some sewing. I'm sure I would have politely declined. If you know God led you to this studio, I'm sure it will be apparent why and that both of you will end up loving it soon! Be looking for His working in it every time you are there. PS - hopefully, Bri is not a demon. I get it but it doesn't sound like my first choice for a part (just sayin).

    ReplyDelete