Writing, Reading, and Reflecting

Since we started the lock down in March I began the process of writing a book and I can't say that's been going well.  I could have had the first draft completed by now if more free time allowed, also finding the exact words to put down.  It was also frustrating that once I started one idea another idea would pop up.  I have a few different manuscripts started but I finally figured out which one I'm going to stick with.  I was also having trouble finding the right technique in order to get it done.  I took some time to step away from Word to just give myself a chance to reflect on it, pray over it, and do some research.  I seeked advice from published authors on how to work through the first draft.  I realized I really needed to change how I went about things and also needed to set some goals.  So, now I'm back at it and finally found my groove.  This morning I took my son to a nearby park so I could walk the track  while he ran it.  His new plan is to try out for the middle school track team next spring so he's been working hard on getting himself ready for it.  Then we went home and both kids read their books and then I allowed them to have some video game time.  While they were playing games I decided to get typing away.  I managed to get over 1,000 words typed and, man, that felt good!


Even though some things have been very different lately, the library is still holding their summer reading club.  The goal is to get to 800 minutes by the end of summer.  My requirement is that they both read at least 20 minutes each day.  Sometimes they want to stop right at 20 and other days they'll surpass it.  It's a great way to keep their brains from turning into mush over the summertime.  I'm also deciding on what educational things to implement during these next few months until school starts again.  I've been allowing extra screen time than normal but we will be getting away from that soon.





A friend of mine had this quote posted on her Instagram today and I just love, love, love it so much.  I know in these last six months I've talked a lot about how frustrating 2020 has been.  It's definitely been filled with a lot of tests.  Regardless, I know that my personal situations could be so much worse and I'm thankful it isn't.  I've also been feeling pretty heartbroken over the things that family members and friends are going through.  My heart has a tendency to hurt for others more than for myself.  It's also tough to see what we are currently being faced with as a world and also as a nation.  It seems to be too difficult to understand but I do believe that these situations have a purpose and are going to bring something bigger and hopefully better.  Anyway, I don't need to say anything further.  These words explain it all.   I can't tell you how many times I've wished that 2020 could somehow magically be cancelled.


No comments:

Post a Comment