Friday, September 18, 2026

6 Month Dermatologist Checkup

 Good evening!  I don't typically blog this late and especially on a Friday night when I should be watching my daughter perform her band routine on the football field but instead I am home on the couch.

And I might as well take advantage of this time by doing my own little Bible study.

And the reason I am home like this is because I look like this.

Not a pretty sight.  5 spots of skin cancer removed from my face and 1 on my chest.  You can look up on my bio for my condition called Basal Cell Nevus Syndrome and why I repeatedly get skin cancer.   

It's not fun and there's no worse feeling than missing something my kids are doing but I'm covered in bandages and don't feel like explaining myself when people ask me why.  It's also slightly painful at the moment.  I'd rather spend the weekend hiding but I'm brave enough to share this experience on the internet.  Who knows, maybe someone out there just got this diagnosis and is feeling scared and unsure of what to expect.  

These cancer removals and surgeries add scars and those scars may make me look and feel uglier but there's one thing Basal Cell Carcinoma won't do, and that's end my life.  It's not terminal and I can feel grateful for that.  What I experience is much more severe than Carcinoma, as it's a hereditary disease that I will experience for the rest of my life but it won't be the reason that my life will stop going on.  I will live on ... I just have to find a better brand of makeup.   

I can't tell you how many spots have already been removed from the seven years of experiencing this but I can tell you I'm going to be okay.  A little emotional, but okay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment