Cleanliness

 Good morning and happy Monday!  We are starting the last week in January.  January always feels like the longest month of the year.  I joked with a few people at work and said that 2021 makes me miss 2020.  Although I do not wish for 2020 back it seems that 2021 entered with such extreme force.  However, I'm embracing the fact that no matter what the year is going to be like I'll be content with all that I have.  

The morning started as it usually does during the week.  I got the kids up so they could get ready for the day.  Said goodbye to my husband as he left for work and then put my daughter on the school bus.  My son has some free time between classes (at home) so we take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood.  Even with the cold air, it feels good to get out.  


Then I made my second cup of Creamy Hazelnut coffee, black, so I would have something to warm me up as I go about the housework.  A load of towels has been put in the dryer and clean clothes are in piles on my bed waiting to be hung up in closets or folded into drawers.  


I went into my daughter's room and felt disgusted with how messy she keeps it.  Every time I tell her to clean her room it ends up looking messier than it did before.  I want to lose my mind but then I remember one thing ...



These bedrooms and the rest of the house were pretty empty and clean before the kids came along and now it often looks like a tornado ripped through the house.  My daughter's room, especially.  I'm trying to teach my kids the importance of keeping things clean and to put stuff away in the appropriate place when they are finished with it but I end up repeating myself over and over.  Teaching them cleanliness is just a part if what parenting is about; making sure they understand how to take care of themselves as adults when I'm not going to be around to help them.  I realize, though, that these kids have way too much stuff and not enough space so I need to teach them how to better organize, and this is going to be a project we will soon get into.  

Is worrying about my daughter's messy room really all that worth stressing out about?  Just close the door and walk away.  I'll spare you a picture of her room.  You don't want to see it, trust me.  It's definitely not a moment I want to capture for the memory bank, either.  

I have my own piles of messes to take care of, after all.  The laundry needs done, things need to be put away, floors could use a good sweeping and vacuuming ... but I have to leave for work soon.  Everything will get done in time.  I've learned not to rush.  Take my time, enjoy the moments as they come, all the chores will be there waiting for me ... and when I do finally complete the chores I'll have to start all over again.  So, why sweat it?

Have a great week, everyone!  


2 comments:

  1. Yes!
    Lovey words and so very wise as well.
    I used to do the same thing with my oldest daughter's room.
    And then I did what you said.
    I closed the door and walked away.
    She grew up and has the cutest, coziest, cleanest house around!
    Hugs and wishes for a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear there's hope for my daughter. Ha ha! Thanks.

      Delete